Aug 16: PML-N nominated Senator Yaqoob Khan Nasar as the acting president of the party.
The PML-N came into being in 1990, and since then, Shahbaz Sharif is the only person, other than Nawaz Sharif, to have held the office of party chief.
Aug 16: The United States designated Hizbul Mujahideen as a specially designated terrorist organisation led by an internationally recognised terrorist.
Formed in 1989, HM is one of the largest and oldest groups of Kashmir freedom fighters. The US has already declared its leader Mohammad Yusuf Shah, better known as Syed Salahuddin, a specially designated global terrorist.
Aug 16: Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi reconstituted the Council of Common Interests (CCI).
1. The eight-member council headed by the PM now has four members from Punjab.
2. The previous CCI, under Nawaz Sharif, had two members each from the four provinces.
3. Balochistan and KP lose one member each; Sindh continues to have two representatives
4. It’s a rare move because it is the president who is empowered under Article 153 of the Constitution to appoint the CCI. It says: “There shall be a Council of Common Interests … to be appointed by the President.”
5. Ghulam Murtaza Jatoi, Federal Minister for Industries & Production, replaced Minister for Overseas Pakistanis Sadruddin Rashdi.
6. The CCI would be chaired by the prime minister, with four provincial chief ministers and federal ministers for inter-provincial coordination, industries and production and finance as its members.
Aug 19: The Indonesian government removed Pakistan from its Calling Visa Country List after 13 years.
Aug 21: Over a hundred lawyers broke past the judges’ entry gate of the Lahore High Court after the court issued arrest warrants for Lahore High Court Bar Association’s (LHCBA) Multan bench president Advocate Sher Zaman Qureshi.
Aug 21: The army announced an end to Operation Khyber IV in Rajgal Valley.
The operation was launched on July 15, 2017, to block the entry of the militant Islamic State (IS) group from across the border with Afghanistan.
Aug 22: Three districts of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) – Mirpur, Kotli and Bhimber – are better than the districts in other parts of Pakistan in terms of quality of education, as per “Pakistan District Education Rankings 2017” prepared by the Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI).
Aug 23: A study in the journal Science Advances has revealed that the levels of arsenic in the groundwater of eastern Pakistan are “alarmingly high” and pose a significant health hazard to tens of millions of people who drink the water.
As per the report, 50 to 60 million people use groundwater which very likely contains more than 50 micrograms per litre, or five times higher than the WHO’s guidelines.
Aug 24: The federal cabinet approved the fixing of maximum prices of 113 new essential and life-saving drugs.
Aug 24: The Pakistan men’s hockey team became the 13th team to qualify for the World Cup 2018.
Pakistan, which failed to qualify for the event in 2014, has won four world cups, more than any other nation.
Aug 25: The Senate of Pakistan passed the Compulsory Teaching of the Holy Quran Bill, 2017, which provides for making teaching of Quran compulsory in all educational institutions controlled and owned by the federal government.
Sorry you have no rights to view this Article/Post!
Please Login or Register to view the complete Article
To get full access EMAIL your username, Subscription Plan and email address at firstname.lastname@example.org for details
SUBSCRIPTION PLANS Rs. 3300 for 1 year.
This Article has been seen 9321 times.