By: Laiba Muhammad Aamir
“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom,” said Aristotle. Exploring one’s self is an art that is learnt gradually; with the passage of time, and experiences. It is more like a fact that some part of our soul is missing and it needs to be found out so as to make our self complete. These missing fragments consistently prod us to look for them and fit them in their correct place and position. Here are some incredible ways to explore one’s self.
1. Find some pals
Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak is a beautifully written story about the exploration of soul. It was Shams of Tabriz who turned Jalaluddin Rumi’s rosary into poesy. In simple words, Shams turned the prayer beads of Maulana Rumi into poetry.
Similarly, we also need someone to show us who we are. The more we interact with others, the more we learn about ourselves. Confining ourselves to the boundaries of our soul means we do not intend to know our self. Come out of your comfort zone and see the potentials running in your veins.
Most people limit their social interaction. But, while doing so, they also limit their exposure and the possible ways to find their innate skills. One can never trust one’s talents and potentials unless they are appreciated by others.
We are social animals and we need someone to reveal our truth to us, to untie our knots of complicated matters, to untangle our web of thoughts, to answer our each query, to get to the bottom of our puzzle, to introduce us to our unknown inner self, to make us understand the signboards and signals of our soul, and to make us learn when and how they work because soul is just like a maze open end of which cannot be found without taking proper instructions.
In other words, human nature is like a seed that needs to be watered by another person to help it grow. A seed can never germinate if it is sown in a wrong place or is in wrong hands that don’t know what a mighty tree it may become.
A human being can only find his inner voice if it is heard by another person who gives positive response; otherwise, he wouldn’t know if he is mute and deaf. So, try to make the frequency of your voice resonate with that of the outside world, to know what a gem you are. Share your voice with the world and when admired by others, you will realize what wonderful vocals you have.
As human beings, we have to socialize but it doesn’t mean that we should be surrounded by a crowd all the time. Every person should give proper time to his own self and that is possible when you are alone or in solitude. Take a long walk alone and talk to your inner self. May be the missing fragment that you are looking for is not outside but inside of you. Socrates says, “To find yourself, think for yourself.” Be free and independent in your thoughts. Be focused in your thinking. You can realize your true self only if you are serious about it. Organize your thoughts. Loneliness with a purpose is not a bad thing. Collect data from your surroundings and start processing them when you are alone so that your attention wouldn’t be distracted because as Lao Tzu said: “At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.”
3. Live fully
Finding the real essence of life is all about living the present moment. If a person concentrates only on his lost path and is driven by his lost self but he does not give attention to the moments he is living in, he would never find his way. The real secret is the point that if you do not know who you are, you would never know who you should be. This life is a perpetual journey through a dark tunnel with a ray of light at its end that we call destiny. If a person only fixes his gaze on that light and doesn’t take care of the rocky path of the tunnel, which is causing wounds, he will never reach his destination. We need to take every step meticulously. Merely hopping to get the lost fragments isn’t the way. So, be a keen observer. Seek inspiration from nature. Learn a lesson from your present to make your future worthy of living.
In the new year, i.e. 2019, let’s apply these tips in our life and be a better person
10 Powerful Quotes from ‘The Forty Rules Of Love’
1. “East, West, South or North makes little difference. No matter what your destination, just be sure to make every journey, a journey within. If you travel within, you’ll travel the whole wide world and beyond.”
2. “Intellect and love are made of two different materials. Intellect ties people in knots and risks nothing, but love dissolves all tangles and risks everything. Intellect is always cautious and advises, “Beware too much ecstasy,” whereas Love says, “Oh never mind. Take the plunge!” Intellect does not easily break down, whereas love can effortlessly reduce itself to rubble. But treasures are hidden amongst ruins. A broken heart hides treasure.”
3. “Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?”
4. “Every true love and friendship is a story of unexpected transformation. If we are the same person before and after we loved, that means we haven’t loved enough.”
5. “Whatever happens in your life, no matter how troubling things might seem, do not enter the neighbourhood of despair. Even when all doors remain closed, God will open up a new path only for you. Be thankful!”
6. “Some people make the mistake of confusing ‘submission’ with ‘weakness,’ whereas it is anything but. Submission is a form of peaceful acceptance of the terms of the universe, including the things we are currently unable to change or comprehend.”
7. “Fret not where the road will take you. Instead concentrate on the first step. That’s the hardest part and that’s what you are responsible for.”
8. “Don’t ever take words at face value. When you step into the zone of love, language as we know it becomes obsolete. That which cannot be put into words can only be grasped through silence.”
9. “Loneliness and solitude are two different things. When you are lonely, it is easy to delude yourself into believing that you are on the right path. Solitude is better for us, as it means being alone without feeling lonely.”
10. “Quit worrying about hell or dreaming about heaven, as they are both present inside this very moment. Every time we fall in love, we ascend to heaven. Every time we hate, envy, or fight someone, we tumble straight into the fires of hell.”