Americans gathered the courage to indulge in such an activity due to the timidity shown by our Government over and over again. Has the evil been nipped in the bud when first such incident occurred, there would not have been any repetitions.
Was it a coincidence or was it intentional to attack the Pakistan Army post at Slalah on 26/11? Coincidents do occur but this time it was a blatant attack with intentional mischief. It may well be to appease its strategic ally, India, and send a message to its own stooge in Afghanistan. Americans gathered the courage to indulge in such an activity due to the timidity shown by our Government over and over again. Has the evil been nipped in the bud when first such incident occurred, there would not have been any repetitions.
Let us analyze the reasons of this attack on Slalah Post.
Geographically this post is in Mohmand Agency. Right across the border is the Kunar Valley. It is the same area where Hikmat Yar inflicted heavy causalities on the Russian Army. Difference this time is that Americans and its allies are occupying the vantage points. It is the place where Molvi Fazalullah and Molvi Faqir Muhammad along with their bunch of bandits are living. It is from this area that they infiltrate into Pakistan and carry out their nefarious activities in Swat and Dir. A few months ago, 200-250 so called ‘Taliban’ attacked this post. A pitched battle ensued; miscreants retreated to the safe havens of Kunar Valley in Afghanistan, after suffering causalities. Most interesting part of this skirmish is that the NATO forces albeit the Americans kept silent about it. They did not take any action despite having information. Why?
Slalah is occupied by Pakistan Army’s regular troops. All those in knowledge of military deployment, know that regular troops are deployed on the posts of significance. Mere fact that army infantry battalion deployed there, indicated the importance of area. Presence of infantry blocked the route of militants or, in other words, the American paid mercenaries. It is, therefore, one of the main reasons of attack to remove the thorn from the foot.
It was a calculated attack. Well thought out about the consequences. NATO has the best possible war technology available. They did not come to support the Pakistan Army unit when militants attacked. They attacked Slalah by passing the wrong information to Pakistan Army. The place indicated was 15 miles away from Slalah Post. Such mistakes do not occur in the presence of the precision guided munitions and the latest GPRS technology where the single hit probability is guaranteed. This attack was in fact to open the route for their cronies and help them to create disturbance and distraught in Pakistan area and at the same time pave the way for its own forces to have a reason to go out of Afghanistan. Chronology of events as thought out before the attack must have been:-
- Pakistan would retaliate to the attack which Pakistan did.
- Pakistan would block the routes of supply and Pakistan did.
- This would give reason to bring in India in Afghanistan and hand over the control of events.
- Americans and their allies would withdraw according to the time frame already planned. General Dempsey’s latest uttering support it. He had said, ‘Goals have been achieved in Afghanistan.’
- Afghanistan will remain in the state of turmoil thereby keeping the Pakistan Army deployed and engaged on the northern frontier. This will help India keep its pressure on the eastern side forcing Pakistan to a stage where, it either accepts Indian hedgemoney or some sort of subjugation to Indian designs.
- This would also keep China at bay and access to Arabian Sea denied.
Author, retired as Colonel from Pakistan Army, is Sitara-a-Imtiaz (Military), presently doing as Principal, Garrison Post Graduate College for Men, Lahore.