Oct 28: The tehsils of Duki and Surab in Balochistan were upgraded to the level of districts.
Oct 28: The Pakistan Council of Research on Water Resources (PCRWR) declared 11 brands of mineral water unsafe for drinking due to chemical contamination.
- Well Care, Siiz Cool, Pacific Pure and Aqua National have comparatively high levels of Arsenic ranging from 15-60 ppb.
- These are higher Pakistan Standards & Quality Control Authority (PSQCA) water quality standard for arsenic (10 ppb).
- Premier Fresh, Well Care, National, Blue Plus, New ARBO, Reliable, Pacific Pure and OAS Water, were found unsafe due to the presence of higher levels of Sodium ranging from 60-115 ppb
- These levels are higher than the PSQCA water quality standard for sodium (50 ppb).
- The PCRWR quarterly monitors bottled/mineral water brands and publicize the results.
Names of Brands
Cottage Foods Drink Water
Oct 28: Yemeni rebels fired a ballistic missile — ‘Burkan 1’ which, according to Saudi Arabia, was shot down near the holy city of Mecca.
- It is the second time this month that the rebels have fired a missile of that range.
- This was Houthis’ longest-range missile strike against Saudi Arabia.
- The Saudi air defence was able intercepted and destroyed the missile about 65 kilometres (40 miles) from Mecca.
- The rebels insisted that the missile had targeted Jeddah, the Red Sea city in the sprawling Mecca region.
- Saudi Arabia has deployed Patriot missiles to intercept the rebel fire.
Oct 28: Belgium’s Wallonia region approved the EU-Canada free trade agreement named Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).
Quick Facts on CETA
- It is a comprehensive EU-Canada economic agreement to boost trade, strengthen economic relations and create jobs.
- CETA will link the EU’s single market of 500 million people — the world’s biggest — with Canada’s 10th largest global economy.
- It will do this by removing 99% of customs duties & many other obstacles for business.
- The agreed text is available for the public and presented for EU democratic approval.
- The European Commission has formally proposed to the Council of the EU the signature and conclusion of CETA.
- CETA took seven years to negotiate to 2014 and another two years to go through the EU’s institutions.
- CETA requires all 28 EU member states to endorse it before it can be signed and then ratified by their parliaments.
Oct 28: Russia lost its bid to be re-elected as a member of the UN’s Human Rights Council.
- The Human Rights Council is an inter-governmental body within the United Nations system.
- The Council was created by the United Nations General Assembly on 15 March 2006 by resolution 60/251.
- It replaced the former United Nations Commission on Human Rights.
- Its first session took place from 19 to 30 June 2006.
- It is the most prestigious panel in the UN system designed to examine global human rights.
- It is made up of 47 States responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights around the globe.
- Its members are elected directly and individually by secret ballot by the majority of the members of the General Assembly.
- The members of the Council serve for a period of three years and are not eligible for immediate re-election after two consecutive terms.
Distribution of Seats
Group of African States (13)
Group of Asia-Pacific States (13)
Group of Eastern European States (6)
Group of Latin American and Caribbean States (8)
Group of Western European and other States (7)
- The High Commissioner for Human Rights is the principal human rights official of the United Nations.
- Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein (Jordan) is the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights since 1 September 2014
- Ambassador CHOI Kyonglim (Republic of Korea) is the President of the Human Rights Council, Tenth Cycle (2015-2016).
Oct 28: India and Russia agreed to double the range of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from 290 km to over 600 km.
Oct 28: Antartica’s Ross Sea was declared world’s largest Marine Protected Area (MPA) to protect the Earth’s most pristine marine ecosystem.
- The agreement to create MPA was reached among 24 countries and European Union in Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR) in Hobart, Australia.
- The Ross Sea is one of the last intact marine ecosystems in the world.
- It covers 1.6 million square kilometers.
- MPA status to Ross Sea will bring blanket ban on commercial fishing across about three quarters of its area for 35 years.
- Ross Sea in the Southern Ocean is home to 38% of the world’s Adelie penguins, 30% of world’s Antarctic petrels and around 6% of world’s population of Antarctic minke whales.
- It is also home to huge numbers of krill, a staple food for species including whales and seals.
- The CCAMLR was established by international convention in 1982 with the objective of conserving Antarctic marine life.
- It is part of the Antarctic Treaty System.
- It was signed by 14 states and has been ratified by 35 states (including India) and the European Community.
Headquarters: Tasmania, Australia.
Oct 28: International Animation Day was observed.
It was proclaimed in 2002 by the International Animated Film Association.
This day commemorates the first public performance of Charles-Émile Reynaud’s Théâtre Optique at the Grevin Museum in Paris, 1892.
The winners from the QMobile Hum Style Awards 2016
Best Model (Female): Amna Babar
Best Model (Male): Shahzad Noor
Most Stylish Actress – Film: Mahira Khan
Most Stylish Actor – Film: Humayun Saeed
Most Stylish Actress – TV: Syra Shahroz
Most Stylish Actor – TV: Hamza Ali Abbasi
Most Stylish Performer (Male): Ali Zafar
Most Stylish Performer (Female): Meesha Shafi
Style Icon of the Year: Wasim Akram
Most Stylish Sports Personality: Shahid Afridi
Most Stylish TV Host: HSY
Best Hair & Makeup Artist: Hannan Siddiqui
Best Fashion Photographer: Shahbaz Shazi
Best Designer – Demi-Couture: Shehla Chatoor
Best Designer – Bridal: Faraz Manan
Best Designer – Lawn: Khadija Shah
Best Designer – Fashion Jewellery: Amber Sami
Best Designer – Menswear: Amir Adnan
Best Retail Brand of the Year – Apparel: Sapphire’s
Best Fashion Publication: DIVA Magazine
Excellence Award in Styling: Nabila
Excellence Award in Fashion Design: Bunto Kazmi
QMobile Rising Star: Photographer Ashan Shah