Oct 07: Through a resolution passed at the parliament’s joint sitting, Pakistan’s political leadership expressed its unequivocal solidarity with the people of India-held Kashmir.
Oct 07: National Disaster Awareness Day was observed in Pakistan.
About the Day
- National Day for Natural Disaster Awareness is observed annually on 8th of October.
- The Day was established in memory of the disastrous earthquake hitting most of Pakistan on 8th October 2005.
Purpose: To create awareness about deadly impacts of natural disasters and to educate the people on how to mitigate disasters, especially in the perspective of climate change.
2016 Theme: “Hamara Azm Tayyar Pakistan”
According to the latest figures of Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA) a total of 14,706 reconstruction project were planned in the affected area, including 5,723 education related projects, 466 environment projects, 725 governance, 326 health livelihood, 2,352, WatSan, 4,744, Transport 302, Power and Telecom 19, Social Protection 15, Town Planning 34. Among these 10,204 projects have so far been completed including 2,999 education, 240 projects of environment, 532 governance projects, 216 health, 1,375 livelihood, 4,571 WatSan, 220 Transport, 16 Power and Telecom, 31 town planning and four social protection. 4,502 projects are still under construction.
United Nations said just last year 45,900 households were assisted by Disaster Risk Reduction initiatives in areas beset by drought and floods in Sindh and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa including via conditional cash transfers of US 6.59 million.
Oct 07: Pakistan was re-elected to the Council of Administration in the Universal Postal Union in elections held on October 5, 2016 during the 26th Congress of the Universal Postal Union.
- About UPU
UPU was established on October 9, 1874 and is headquartered in Bern, Switzerland.
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- It establishes the rules for international mail exchanges among its member countries
- It also makes recommendations to modernize products and services, stimulate mail volume growth and improve the quality of service for customers.
- Pakistan has been an active member of the UPU since 1947 and has played a key role in the development and improving the International postal system.
Official language: French (English was added as a working language in 1994.)
Current Director General: Bishar Abdirahman Hussein of Kenya (since10 October 2012)
The UPU consists of:
- The Congress
- The Council of Administration (CA)
- The Postal Operations Council (POC)
- The International Bureau (IB)
- Telematics Cooperative
- EMS Cooperative
Member Countries: 192
Oct 07: Abid Saeedwas appointed as the new chief secretary of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) government.
Oct 07: The Supreme Court disqualified PML-N MPA Rashida Yaqoob (Jhang PP-78) over concealing her assets.
Oct 07: Hurricane Matthew levelled huge swaths of Haiti’s south, with the number of dead soaring to 877 and tens of thousands left homeless.
Oct 07: The IMF announced that 25 member states have committed a total of $340 billion in bilateral borrowing to maintain the Fund`s lending capacity.
Oct 07: The IMF-World Bank annual meeting held in Washington, USA.
Oct 07: Russian parliament ratified a treaty with Syria that allows Russian troops to stay indefinitely in the Mideast country.
Oct 07: Governments from more than 190 countries adopted a measure that for the first time will reduce the climate impact of international jet travel.
About the Accord
The aviation plan was approved by acclamation at a meeting of the International Civil Aviation Organization, or I.C.A.O., in Montreal, Canada.
- The measure could force air carriers to take major steps to improve fuel economy in their routes and fleets.
- Carriers may pass the cost of the program on to consumers in higher airfares.
- The accord will take effect in 2021.
- The aviation measure will be voluntary for the first six years, and even countries that commit to it voluntarily will be allowed to opt out on relatively short notice.
- Under the program, airlines will buy credits to offset emissions from individual flights.
- The credits will come from alternative energy installations, forest conservation programs and other projects that prevent some amount of greenhouse gas emissions.
- At least 65 nations, including the United States, China and the European Union countries, have signaled that they will participate during the voluntary phase of the measure.