World Heart Day is celebrated on September 29 every year. The Day was founded in 2000 to inform people that heart disease and stroke are the world’s leading causes of death, claiming 17.3 million lives each year.
The number of deaths per year due to CVD, according to the WHF, is more than the number of deaths due to cancer, respiratory diseases and diabetes, combined! And that number is expected to rise to around 30 million per year by 2030.
- Ten tips for a healthy heart
- Quit smoking
- Cut down on alcohol
- Lower salt intake and high sodium foods
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day
- Eat more fish, fibre and fruits
- Reduce stress – Get an engaging hobby
- Get enough sleep
- Do your yearly health check-ups
- Be aware of heart disease and symptoms
If there’s a family history of heart disease, pay attention to your health